Friday, May 18, 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo

Last November I participated in NaNoWriMo and enjoyed it. Well, I enjoyed it when I wasn't pulling my hair out over my stubborn novel which refused to get written. So when Imogen discovered Camp NaNoWriMo I was delighted. Here was a chance to get two novels written in super speed. We signed up as soon as possible. Now all I needed was a story.

So I sat down at my computer and began my planning. I quickly found that I have the attention span of a fly and could easily become distracted by the slightest thing. After half an hour's work I decided what I had wasn't any good and began all over again. And it happened again. Imogen was filling a notebook with ideas and that seemed a good idea. So I grabbed a fresh clean notebook, dumped it on the table and look at it blankly. I hadn't a clue what to write in it. 

After a nice long session talking to Imogen I found found an idea to write down. Then the ideas started flooding in. My notebook pages were covered in scribbles. Of course I hadn't a clue whether these ideas were any good but they were a start. Random ramblings on characters I couldn't possibly leave out, evil ideas for my villain and hundreds of possible names for my heroine who was maddeningly vague poured out into my notebook. Who was she anyway? I could name everyone else in my story but the heroine and that was really getting me annoyed.

When I sat back down at my desk with my plans in front of me, my fingers began to fly. I pounded out my ideas and tried to put them into some sort of order. Probably I failed and I still changed the name of my heroine every couple of minutes but I was getting somewhere.

Now my planning is sort of going on track. True I get distracted easily and hate leaving any of my amazing secondary characters out of the story but I getting there. I have even decided on a final name for my heroine. This time I'm determined to keep it. Unless I find an even better one. Hopefully by the time I reach Camp NaNoWriMo next month I should have some sort of a plan. If I don't accidentally delete it like I did last time...

No comments:

Post a Comment